Tuesday, July 19, 2016

I'm a little discouraged about my idea, but still confident

I'm a little nervous that my great (or not so great) idea is not going to attract much attention.  I'm just not sure that the H-pattern automatic transmission I keep talking about will have a successful public interest.  I think it's good.  However, I was talking to someone in person about it and he had mixed feelings about it.  He said that the clutch is not the only burden to some people.  Also, he said since it is an automatic people will more than likely not use the manual shift feature (even though I think my gearbox is unique and is meant to promote shifting).  I also feel that people who are reading this treat this as a joke and think I'm stupid or obsessed or something.  I'm just old school and like to keep it that way (with some modernizing strategies).

The other issue is if a car company was interested in this idea, I have not developed the transmission as I don't have the money for engineers and computer programers.  I was hoping they could develop it for me and give me some kind of credit for my idea.

It's pretty basic.  Its an automatic transmission with a 6-speed H-pattern gear selector.

1  3  5
|   |   |
--N--
|   |   |
2  4  R
Five-speed manual transmission:
The manual gearbox is a fun way to drive however the clutch pedal can be a burden to deal with when driving in heavy traffic and starting uphills.  An inexperienced driver may have trouble driving a stick and will stall the engine a few times as well as wear out the clutch quicker.

P
R
N
(D)
3
2
1
Four-speed automatic (seen in usually older vehicles):
The 4-speed automatic is one of the prime examples of automatic gearboxes.  However, you can't manually shift with it as the 1st-3rd gear ranges are only for engine braking.

P     
R     
 N    +
 D   M
        -
Traditional automatic with sequential shift mode:
This type of gearbox is usually found in newer vehicles.  Unlike the older 4-speed, it has a sequential shift mode because there's more gears in the transmission.  This does let you manually shift, but it is also can be used just for engine braking.

    [P]
D 1  3  5
|   |   |   |
-----N--
|   |   |   |
R 2  4  6
Six-speed NCP-6 A/H-Gate Transmission (my innovative idea):
This gearbox combines the conveniences of an automatic, but the fun of classic shifting in a manual.  It's pretty simple.  Put the vehicle into Drive when you don't feel like shifting.  When you do, put it into manual mode.  All without a clutch pedal.

Here's how it works.  A computer software (that yet needs to be developed) communicates with different counterparts of the vehicle such as the engine, drivetrain, torque converter, gas pedal, and the gear shifter to send vital information to the automatic clutch to know when to engage and to disengage.  This will allow the driver to be able to let off the accelerator and shift the gears properly. And there's nothing to worry about at idol or taking off in first gear because of the torque converter.

No comments:

Post a Comment