Thursday, July 21, 2016

I feel obligated to make a contribution in my life

Right now, I'm going through a phase.  It may not seem like much, but to someone who really like cars and kind of know how they work, I really feel like I have to at least share my idea online.  Even if a car company like General Motors were to steal my idea and not give me form of credit or compensation for it, I would have at least contributed to the automotive world.

It started when my mom showed me how to drive a manual in a Geo Metro down some country roads in Wisconsin.  The multitasking was a little overwhelming at first, but I got the hang of it.  Unfortunately that's not the car I drive.  I drive a '97 Neon with a 3-speed automatic but I really want a stick shift car.  I drive a motorcycle and that has a clutch and a gear shifter (however in reverse places) and that's what inspired me to want a car with a manual transmission.

I'm thinking about buying a used car for now but someday, I would like to have a new sports car or one that is at least a few years old.  My only concern is that less and less sports cars are being made with a standard gearbox than ever and by the time I can afford a new one, they'll all be converted to flappy paddles and then all sports cars will be damned to hell (I don't like paddle shifters).  Even the Corvette by the time I can afford one will be mid-engined and more than likely have a dual-clutch flappy paddle gearbox as the only transmission option.

I can name a bunch of sports cars that no longer offer a manual gearbox.

  • 2017 Ford GT
  • Nissan GT-R
  • Audi R8
  • Alfa Romeo 4C
  • Bugatti
  • McLaren
  • Lamborghini
  • Ferrari (not to point fingers, but they were the ones who started the paddle shift fad)
Corvettes are still being offered with a manual but the majority of Corvette buyers prefer them in automatic.  Part of it is because the new ones are automatics but have the paddle shift mode.  Even the cheap sports cars, like the MX-5 Miata have an optional automatic with paddle shift transmission.  If I was a car company I would only offer my sports car in a standard gearbox.  But that sounds something like the Dodge Viper, which is now in the stages of ending production because of low demand.

I just can't believe that something that was mainly developed by Ferrari for Formula 1 racing over 25 years ago, would be something this extremely popular in sporty and luxury road cars.  In fact, When Ferrari introduced paddle shifters into their first road car, the F355 in 1997, less than 2/10 of UK customers purchased the F1 Gearbox equipped Ferraris.  But over time, you would see other high-end companies like Lamborghini with "E Gear" to compete with Ferrari's "F1" Gearbox.  Then it would go to all different brands from sports cars to luxury vehicles being equipped with them.  I can admit they are advantages for having paddle shifters over a traditional manual gearbox.  Flappy paddles can shift gears fully in a matter of milliseconds compared to a second to 1.5 seconds depending upon person and shifter in a manual.

It's just that the issue is I can no longer go to a Lamborghini dealer and request one of their exotic vehicles with a standard transmission (I still couldn't because I don't have $300K-$550K).  And then I'm sure some ultra wealthy person tried to switch the gearbox from his new Lambo and voided his warranty (knowing him, he probably didn't care).

Anyway, my whole point is I just want to bring popularity back into manually (not sequentially) shifting but with the need of no clutch pedal.  I want to change this 20-year fad that has been going on.  And that is why I talk about it so much on my blog.  Is because I think a blog is somewhere to express your feelings about the topic you choose.  Also, I believe if you have a dream that can be fulfilled, work on it and make it a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment